Four key perspectives to refresh the perceptions for investors and ecosystem stakeholders
Southeast Asia is finally entering the spotlight:
– Private tech investment in the region grew 16x from 2013 to $8.2B in 2020;
– Market cap of the region’s largest tech company, Sea Group soured 10x since Jan 2020, from $19B to $184B in Nov 2021;
– Few other unicorns like Grab, Goto and Traveloka are in the pipeline to go public
– However, understanding about Southeast Asia is diverse.
This briefing uncovers what is exactly happening on the ground – beyond the rhetoric, euphoria, and sometimes skepticism.
We structure this report around four key perspectives:
- Southeast Asia is a set of sizable economies where megacities play a key role.
- Southeast Asia’s young, urban consumers are already part of the digital economy.
- Rising giants are competitive in slicing the market.
- Regional businesses have a strong moat.