What is “The Merge” and why does it matter?
About this Report
In 2021, the total number of transactions on the Ethereum blockchain surpassed that on the Bitcoin blockchain, making it the most popular blockchain on the planet right now. But why are we talking about it now? Ethereum is about to undergo the biggest change since its inception: The Merge. In this report, we outline what the merge is, what consensus mechanisms are, why this change is happening, how it will affect all parties involved, and most importantly why you should care.
In Momentum Works’ “The Future of Ethereum” report, we cover the following key questions from industry stakeholders and international investors:
- What is ethereum? Why blockchains are relevant and what they are used for.
- Why are consensus mechanisms important? How transactions are validated on blockchains and the differences between these mechanisms.
- Why has it taken so long? The merge has been consistently delayed since 2016.
- What are the effects and ramifications? What happens to everything running on the ethereum blockchain, and all of the ethereum coins in circulation?
- How does this affect you? Will this directly impact everyday people who may or may not interact with dapps or the blockchain?
List of contents:
- What is Ethereum?
- The popularity, and challenges
- Ethereum 2.0 and the difficulties in building it
- The future of Ethereum